Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cast Down Your Nets

Come, follow me.

I've been reading Debbie Alsdorf's book, WILD, in which she challenges the reader to ask whether our faith is too tame. She then proceeds to describe the characteristics of someone who lives wildly for Christ.

I've been sitting with the idea all week that when Jesus first met and chose His disciples, His simple words were, "Come, follow Me." To the fishermen He said, "Throw down your nets and follow Me." To the tax collector He said, "Cast aside your riches and come follow Me." To each of His twelve disciples He said, "Drop whatever hold the world has on you and come follow Me." And they all followed without hesitation.

Whoa. When Christ first proposed a similar idea to me, I was too busy hanging onto my worldly focus to hear, let alone understand, His call for me to follow Him. Oh no, I need empirical proof. I needed brain satisfaction in knowing who and what I was being called to before I took one step down that pathway. So I sit in amazement that the disciples walked away from everything to follow Jesus.

I don't admonish myself over waiting to pick up His hiking stick ~ it is history I cannot change. I do look back at that time in my life and laugh at my arrogance. I can also see through the fear and misunderstanding of what I was being called to. That is why it blows me away to know that the disciples simply followed Him at the first command of His words.

Come, follow Me.

The path won't always be smooth. It will go over hills and into valleys. It will scramble over boulders. It will pass through narrow forest paths. It will reveal stunning vistas. It will uncover small treasures. It will be the most amazing adventure of my life and beyond. It's a journey I don't want to miss and I'm glad I'm on it.

At once they left their nets and followed Him. (Matthew 4:20)

No comments: