Saturday, March 24, 2018

Different But the Same

I am waiting for my flight home. After the hurry, hurry, hurry and rush, rush, rush to get to the airport, check-in, go through security, I now have plenty of time to wait. I was lucky enough to secure a pass to the United Club so I wait in a nice atmosphere with free food and cushy chairs.  And in my waiting, I have time to reflect on my week here in London.

Yep, THAT London.  The one in England.  It is my first trip here and I hope, won't by my last.  To be honest, London has never been high on my list of must-see places.  I mean, after all, they speak English which means they aren't very exotic.  No, I want foreign lands with foreign tongues and foreign ways of living.

So imagine my surprise when I fell in love with London and its people.  We are different yet the same. I see so much heritage here that influenced the birth and heritage of my home country, the USA.  And I can also see why our forefathers decided to break away from royalty and become a land of fierce independents.  

But it's the one-to-one connections, the person-to-person connections that have made the most impact on me.  We are different but the same.  We seek similar goals of love, belonging, family, safety and such.  Indeed, that is true no matter where I travel.  Language may be a barrier.  Customs may be seem unfamiliar.  But at the core, the heart of it, we are not so different but the same.

So thank you Maggie and Di and Peter and the Uber drivers and nameless others who welcomed me to your delightful city and made my stay so enjoyable!

If you want to see photos, you can follow me on Instagram @kcpace

No comments: